*Please Note: This competition has now ended. Please see our competition page for info on all our latest competitions*
It’s on a rather sad note that I announce this round. This competition has been a huge part of this blog for the last year and announcing this round as the FINAL round seems rather disappointing. So many great stories have been submitted and published etc, and great connections have been made with some amazingly talented people.
As sad as it is, it’s also extremely exciting because we are that much closer to the first anthology to come out of Mum Life Stories. There’s a lot of work to do, but I’m hoping after this round, it will get underway and be ready for release by Christmas or at the latest, early January. Yes, the plan was for the end of 2020 but lots of extensions and other unforeseen events have put a bit of a delay on the process, but never fear it will happen and it will be awesome. I’m thinking about a little competition to name the anthology, so keep an eye out for that in a month or so. Subscribe to the mailing list if you’d like to be notified when it happens.
If you missed out on reading the winning entries for round 5, you can find them right HERE along with the shortlist HERE and don’t forget to visit our competitions page for all the past winners of our previous rounds.
The theme of this round is ‘Foster Mother’, a challenging topic I believe but I’m sure it will be the one with the most interesting storylines. You could score yourself $50 (AUD) for first place or $20 (AUD) for 2nd or 3rd place. Exciting right?
Competition opens midnight AEST tonight, the 20th of September!
This page contains affiliate links which may earn me a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Affiliate links are how I keep this blog running, thank you.
Micro Fiction Competition Themes
This Competition is the fifth of 6 Micro Fiction Writing Competitions run over the year of 2020, ending with an anthology publication, hopefully sometime before November 2020 (exact dates will be known closer to the time). Each competition will have a slightly different theme but revolve around the idea of Motherhood. The 6 different sub-themes are:
- Mother (November/December ’19 COMPLETED)
- GrandMother (January ’20 COMPLETED)
- Single Mother (February/March ’20 COMPLETED)
- Step-Mother (April/May ’20 COMPLETED)
- Great GrandMother (August ’20 COMPLETED)
- Foster Mother (CURRENT)
The comps will be run in this order and competition start and finish dates will be released at the end of each preceding competition. Competitions will run for 14 – 20 days (unless extended), judging for 2 weeks, at the commencement of which, the winners will be announced!
Sign up to our mailing list to be notified when a new competition has begun.
About This Months Micro-Fiction Competition
This month’s theme is ‘Foster Mother’ (September ’20) and it can be interpreted any way you like. You don’t have to include the words ‘Foster Mother’ but it must be clear your story is about, you guessed it…a foster mother.
Whilst I’d love to keep the competition free to enter, administration costs have started to take their toll on my bank account and it’s become necessary to charge a very small fee (to cover costs) of just $2 AUD. I do lose a bit of that to Paypal fees so what I’m getting is very minimal and doesn’t even completely cover the prize money that I give away so please don’t be put off by the small entry cost as you are helping contribute to your’s or someone else’s success and publication as an author. A noble deed indeed!
Please read the competition rules below and then follow the link to our competition T & C’s where there will be an entry form to fill in with your story. Good Luck!
Competition Rules and Guidelines
‘Foster Mother’ Competition Dates: September 20th 2020 – October 10th 2020 (Extended to October 24th) @ midnight AEST. Judging will commence on the 11th October 2020 (Extended to October 25th), with the shortlist being announced by the 25th of October 2020 (Extended to 10th November) and the winners announced shortly thereafter.
Open to: Worldwide (but must be written in English), 16 years or older.
- 500 words or less.
- Narrative Fiction (no poetry please).
- Must be about a Great Grandmother.
- No gratuitous violence, sexual content, blood & gore or profanity.
- Must agree to the T & C’s.
- Your story must not already be published anywhere else.
- The $2 AUD entry fee must be paid via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org and must clear before the competition end date in order for your entry to qualify. Please also insure you enter the email address you use for PayPal into the section provided on the entry form so we can match your payment to your entry.
- Story to be typed in a doc, docx, pdf, rtf or txt formatted document.
- 12 point, Times New Roman or Georgia Text.
- The title of your story should appear at the top of the document and in the file name.
- Your name should not appear on the document (submissions will be read blind so if your name is on the doc it will not be accepted).
- Click HERE to go to the form where you can attach your story file, or go to the T & C’s page and enter there.
There will be 2 judges, myself and one of our regular story contributors Fiona M. Jones.
- Stories will be read ‘blind’ without author names attached so as to avoid bias.
- We will not be giving feedback on stories at this point in time, apart from general opinions on the winning entries that will be published on the blog.
- While our opinions and personal taste will play a small role in the judging, we will be looking at the structure, form, originality and storytelling technique of each submission.
- We both have different tastes but will work together, discussing all elements of the story to come up with 10 stories for the shortlist and then 3 winners.
- All decisions are final and will not be open to discussion.
You can read more about the judges on our ‘About‘ page.
1st Place – $50 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + a printed copy of the anthology + digital copy of the anthology.
2nd Place – $20 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + digital copy of the anthology.
3rd Place – $20 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + digital copy of the anthology
Shortlist (Top 10) – Published in anthology + digital copy of the anthology
Click HERE to go to the entry form.
Go to the T & C’s page.
Sign up to mailing list to get a reminder when the competition is about to close & keep informed of upcoming competitions, plus receive a FREE Ebook.
Good Luck and Have Fun Writing!
Get your FREE Ebook
The pace and intensity of our lives, both at work and at home, leave many of us feeling like a person riding a frantically galloping horse. Our day-to-day incessant busyness — too much to do and not enough time.
With this ebook you will learn to approach your days in another way, reducing stress and getting results through prioritizing, leveraging and focus!