*Please note: This competition has ended. Please visit our competitions page for details of our current competition. Please sign up to our mailing list at the bottom of this page to keep informed of new competitions starting*
Our first Micro Fiction Writing Competition has been a wonderful success and we were very impressed by the quality of entrants. The short list has been published and our top 3 winners have been chosen but the announcement is yet to go out, so stay tuned and check back for that exciting news.
Time for round 2. If you fancy yourself a bit of a writer and enjoy telling a tale then why not have a go at this competition. You could score yourself $50 (AUD) for first place or $20 (AUD) for 2nd or 3rd place, plus the top 10 short-listed stories, including the 3 winners (from 6 competitions, so 60 stories in total) will be featured in an anthology to be published by the end of 2020.
This page contains affiliate links which may earn me a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Affiliate links are how I keep this blog running, thank you.
This Competition is the second of 6 Micro Fiction Writing Competitions run over the next year, ending with an anthology publication sometime between July and November 2020 (exact dates will be known closer to the time). Each competition will have a slightly different theme but revolve around the idea of Motherhood. The 6 different sub-themes are:
- Mother (November/December ’19 COMPLETED)
- GrandMother (February ’20 CURRENT)
- Single Mother
- Step Mother
- Great GrandMother
- Foster Mother
The comps will be run in this order and competition start and finish dates will be released at the end of each preceding competition. Competitions will run for 10 days (unless extended), judging for 2 weeks, at the commencement of which, the winners will be announced!
Sign up to our mailing list to be notified when a new competition has begun.
This Months Competition
This month’s theme is ‘Grandmother’ (January ’20) and it can be interpreted any way you like. You don’t have to include the word ‘Grandmother’ but it must be clear your story is about a Grandmother (biological, adoptive or otherwise).
We have decided to keep this months submissions FREE to enter. Consecutive months competitions will incur a $2 entry fee (to cover administration costs).
Please read the competition rules below and then follow the link to our competition T & C’s where there will be an entry form to fill in with your story. Good Luck!
Competition Rules and Guidelines
‘Grandmother’ Competition Dates: January 14th 2020 – January 24th 2020 (extended till 10th February) @ midnight AEST. Judging will commence on the 25th of January (extended till the 11th of February), with the shortlist and winners being announced on the 8th of February (extended till the 20th of February).
Open to: Worldwide (but must be written in English), 16 years or older.
- 500 words or less.
- Narrative Fiction (no poetry please).
- Must be about a Mother (biological or adoptive).
- No gratuitous violence, sexual content, blood & gore or profanity.
- Must agree to the T & C’s.
- Your story must not already be published anywhere else.
- Story to be typed in a doc, docx, pdf, rtf or txt formatted document.
- 12 point, Times New Roman or Georgia Text.
- Title of story should appear at the top of the document and in the file name.
- Your name should not appear on the document (submissions will be read blind so if your name is on the doc it will not be accepted).
- Click HERE to go to the form where you can attach your story file, or go to the T & C’s page and enter there.
There will be 2 judges, myself and one of our regular story contributors Fiona M. Jones.
- Stories will be read ‘blind’ without author names attached so as to avoid bias.
- We will not be giving feedback on stories at this point in time, apart from general opinions on the winning entries that will be published on the blog.
- While our opinions and personal taste will play a small role in the judging, we will be looking at the structure, form, originality and storytelling technique of each submission.
- We both have different tastes but will work together, discussing all elements of the story to come up with 10 stories for the shortlist and then 3 winners.
- All decisions are final and will not be open to discussion.
You can read more about the judges on our ‘About‘ page.
1st Place – $50 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + a printed copy of the anthology + digital copy of anthology.
2nd Place – $20 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + digital copy of anthology.
3rd Place – $20 (AUD), published on mumlifestories.com & in anthology + digital copy of anthology
Shortlist (Top 10) – Published in anthology + digital copy of anthology
Click HERE to go to the entry form.
Go to the T & C’s page.
Sign up to mailing list to get a reminder when the competition is about to close & keep informed of upcoming competitions, plus receive a FREE Ebook.
Alternatively, go to our COMPETITIONS page for info on the latest competitions!
Get your FREE Ebook
The pace and intensity of our lives, both at work and at home, leave many of us feeling like a person riding a frantically galloping horse. Our day-to-day incessant busyness — too much to do and not enough time.
With this ebook you will learn to approach your days in another way, reducing stress and getting results through prioritizing, leveraging and focus!